March 12, 2020
To: All McCabe Union Elementary School District Families
Attached please find the District's latest plan for responding to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. As we monitor the updates related to COVID-19, this document will be revised based on the latest advisories from the Imperial County Department of Public Health, California Department of Education, California Department of Public Health, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization. Yesterday, the World Health Organization officially declared the COVID-19 as a worldwide pandemic. This is a serious designation that has not taken place for over a decade.
The guidance for our plan describes a tiered or staged response with three distinct levels:
We currently have been in the first stage focusing on identifying sick students, staff members and community members who come on our campuses and ensuring our students and staff practice good hygiene, etc.
The second stage will be in effect as of today, March 12, 2020 as recent updates confirm two or more active cases in Imperial Valley. This development is the primary factor for the implementation of increasing safety measures with a focus on "social distancing" that limit contact between people.
The third stage focuses on what to do if we have to close school at the direction of one of the mentioned agencies. If the guidance agencies require school closures in the future, we will have an obligation to continue to provide an education to our students. While there will be many questions surrounding this, we do know that we would not have to make up lost days if directed to close. Our district will have a plan in place to provide access to the curriculum for all our students.
Please review the following directives in effect now, in regard to the Coronavirus (COVID-19):
- Due to the recommended actions we need to implement, based on the school guidance, all non-essential student and staff gatherings, as well as non-essential travel by students and staff to public places where crowds may gather (fieldtrips, conferences) are cancelled until further notice.
- Beginning this week, we will not hold assemblies where parents and extended families and friends are invited. As we are looking for signs of illness of all those who enter our campuses, to do so on a large scale would not be manageable. We encourage our staff to seek alternatives to family-based awards assemblies, perhaps in an electronic format.
- Our PERFECT ATTENDANCE recognition program is hereby suspended. Any student who had perfect attendance up through March 6th will be recognized. As we are encouraging students to stay home from school if ill, we do not want students attending school while sick just to be eligible for the perfect attendance recognition.
- We are discouraging hand shaking, high fives, etc. This is not just due to coronavirus, but the other illnesses that seem to be at an all-time high.
- Cleaning supplies are limited, but our district has plenty of cleaning supplies for the near future, with more on the way. Also, make sure to report any cleanliness issues to an administrator so that he/she can discuss them with the proper staff members. Our maintenance department is prioritizing duties and working hard to provide clean surfaces in all classrooms on a daily basis.
We appreciate your cooperation in our effort to keep students and staff healthy and safe. Making these decisions is difficult and we ask that you recognize that we are making them with health and safety as a priority.
701 W. McCabe Rd.
El Centro, CA 92243